Bear's Hideout

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

 Working for a Livin'  


 (A song by Huey Lewis and the News)

A True Tale of Interpersonal Relationships, in a Dysfunctional Work Family (i.e. The Island of Misfit Toys)

I started my work day, today by going into the break room to put away my lunch. Pizza had been ordered, and delivered, in celebration of some goal, reached by the camera department. I was encouraged to partake in this before mentioned feast; however, by doing that, I would have put myself in the hospital, almost instantly, with a terrible Crohn's flare. (I can actually can eat the backs of pizza crusts, now, but not much of the actual pizza, so what would be the point?)

I then went into the office, where I read the daily, Five-Minute-Meeting Notes, a replacement for an actual meeting, which is impossible, for us to really have, because we all work different shifts. We all have to sign off on this sheet, verifying that we have read, and understand, it's contents. 

Whenever I forget to do so this, I miss some important thing, that then backfires on me later; for example; the night of Daylight Savings Time, which I mentioned earlier, on this site; in my work stories. Today, however, I did read the Five-Minute-Notes; and after doing so, I felt somewhat discouraged. I was also filled with a hazy sense of dread.

An important message for the day, had been introduced by my main supervisor, on today's notes, that clearly stated, that we must all greet every customer with genuine sincerity, and a smile. If we did not wish to do this, she clarified, then perhaps retail is not your type of job. "I need smiley people," she had finished, with an implied, flourish.

 This message was coming straight from my boss, who used to always smile, at me, and at all her other employees, and her customers; but now only does, on occasion. She has been burnt out, by corporate dictators, and also, by attempting to reach their unrealistic expectations. She is not exactly the supervisor and the woman, I remember, in my first years of working at Walgreen's. I miss her.


I see glimpses of her now, and then; but it is clear that her previous image of me, has changed. She lost faith in me last year, as she tried in vain, to diagnose my myriad of  health issues, as all anxiety related. No matter what issues there were, or where they were located, in my body. 

She was doing this, in an attempt to help me; but between her misdiagnoses, and those of the doctors, who kept telling me that nothing was wrong, (and giving me pamphlets about mental health resources) I was really losing hope. I had great a fear that I would lose my job. I was in great pain, in many unmentionable spots, and it seemed that it would never go away, and only get worse. I was becoming a nervous wreck.

Now, that I have a clear cause for my afflictions, and a true diagnosis, as well as a lot more hope, I am able to do my job better. There is little sympathy or apology from my boss, or anyone else who had not believed me, however. My boss is, perhaps, just a little relieved, that I am more myself; for her sake, and for the store's sake, and, she likely has hopes, that the sales of the cosmetic department, will also improve now.  For the most part, they have.

In the past few weeks, I have gotten several positive coaching cards, from team leaders; (they are one step below, assistant managers). They are required to do random check-lists, while watching us ring up customers, to see how well we do. I also had a customer, recently, specifically ask to speak to a team leader, about me, in order to give me a compliment. As a result, I also earned the latest lanyard, in a series of three, for this particular customer service.

 I consistently have customers thank me, for my help, including those are who are elderly, and those that are deaf. A deaf man, named Eugine, hugs me, when he sees me, as if we are close friends, because I try so hard to communicate with him.


 The other day, I also I spent at least half an hour, with E., the Daylight Savings Lady. I completed two returns for her, on her previously purchased products, whilst hearing all about her allergic body rash. I then recommended products to help, the said rash. I also had to give E., advice, about taking showers.


All this I managed, to accomplish, fairly well, while taking high doses of Predinsone, a steroid, to help the Crohns' disease. This medication is making me very impatient, and edgy a great deal of the time. It is also effecting my memory, and my appetite, and giving me earth-splitting headaches. I am far from perfect, and I make many mistakes. There are times, that I am not that personable; especially when I have a migraine. However, I try to do the best I can.

Right after reading the notes, on the Five-Minute-Meeting, and privately questioning it's inspiration; Jodi, our new team leader, ran up to me, and said, in a rush, "I have something for you, just wait." She then found a peer-recognition card, she had written up for me. It was based on several transactions, I had done recently, and on a customer's positive comments, she had been privy to, last week. 

She wrote this up I guess, in order to encourage me. I thanked her, profusely, a couple times. She actually saved my day from being ruined, completely. I wonder now, if she did this on purpose; knowing, that the Five-Minute comments were about me. She likes me, and thinks I do a good job.

Anyhow, still curious about the Smiley-Warning Note, on the Five-Minute-Meeting Paper, I tracked down my main supervisor, to inquire whose behavior had inspired this notation. She said it was me. Someone had complained about me, that day, based on something that had happened on Saturday, and they had named me, specifically. Apparently, my fears had been founded, in reality.

My boss said the woman customer had complained that I had been rude, and that I did not greet her, and that I had barely spoken to her. I tend to remember my transactions pretty clearly, but this new medication I am taking, is effecting my mood, and my memory. I recall little of Saturday, except that it was warehouse day, and that I was working with Chris.

My boss went on to say, that I needed to be ringing up more customers in the department; which, I also, normally, do. This short conversation left me very disheartened, and I was only kept from crying, because of Jodi's recognition card. I did a little crying, later, however.

Shortly after my brief discussion with my boss., I went to my department, in cosmetics, where another, team leader, who, is considered the "Swiss" (head of) of the cosmetics department, (against her will), was working on a reset, in the shave needs aisle.

This employee has two moods: "sassy and funny," and "just plain mean." "Sassy,"  I can deal with, as I can sass, with the best of them. The "just plain mean," behavior, however, I can not take. This spunky team leader jumped right down my throat, with a sharp-tongued comment, stating that I should be working on the shave needs reset, not her.

Well, this reset was not on my task list, it was on her task list. She had made previous comments, to Chris and I, when she was forced to set up the suntan aisle, instead of us, a few weeks ago. She had felt that the other huge, shampoo reset, that Chris and I were doing at the time, should have been done already, despite the size of the shampoo project; and despite the mistakes corporate had made, in the sort of "blue-print" of the operation, we were forced to follow.

I left this team leader to her own devises, though I was now, even more stressed. I started to to talk to Chris, who was  in the skincare aisle, progressing nicely, with another reset. She was of course, much nicer, and decent to me, was getting a lot done. I started putting warehouse stock away.

The previously mentioned team leader/shave needs "resetter,"  came to our aisle, a few minutes later, to talk to Chris, about something. When they had finished, the team leader made the comment, to Chris, that she should probably, get back to work.

Hoping to put this lady, who I will now refer to, as a "firecracker," back into her teasing, rather than, mean, mode, I jokingly commented, that yes, she should go back to work. The firecracker then then let me have it, asking me, how much of this reset that Chris was now working on, I had gotten done, yesterday. "Anything at all?" she asked, her voice dripping with harsh sarcasm.

I explained that I had done almost a complete three-foot section, which was not a lot, but I had been helping customers, and doing other things, as well. The Firecracker, took off, then, in a rude snit, leaving a burning, gun-residue, taste in my throat.

I looked at Chris with distress, and confusion, and asked her, "Hands down, did I deserve that?"

Chris replied, "I do not think anyone deserves to be slammed." (I am not sure all that Chris meant to convey, in that sentence, but Chris is very wise, and I took her words to heart).

Chris then told me, that a couple of the shelves, I had done yesterday, on this reset, were done incorrectly, which did not surprise me;  as I had been very distracted, mainly due to the previously mentioned, medication, a grave headache, and my temporary, half-hiemers condition. I apologized to Chris for this. She held no grudge.

I then asked my assistant manager, (a wise, business-minded man, who is intelligent and often mouthy, but with whom I have a good working relationship). if I could talk to him, after my lunch. He agreed to do this. When we went to the training room, I discussed this whole ordeal with him, (i.e. regarding this angry firecracker's moods, her dislike for the cosmetic department, and, what I felt, was her unreasonable behavior).

The assistant manager said he had no authority over team leaders. I knew, then, that even if he mentioned this situation to my main supervisor, nothing would happen. He would not damage his good working relationship with this lady who is in charge, (and normally, we are glad that she is), who was over, both of us. I guess, I understand. He said, to tell him, though, if this situation got worse.

I also discussed with this assistant manager, about my snapping at the Loose Cannon, in cosmetics, the other day; the emotional co-worker, who had lost it on him, on Sunday. I explained that I had been pushed to the edge of endurance, due to my own health conditions, my required medications, and the fact that this lady says one thing to my face, and another behind my back. 

Not much was accomplished by this discussion, either, but at least, the assistant manager, listened, and he believed me. He knows I will always tell him the truth, even when I make a mistake.

What transpired next, was a series of written correspondence, since I am a writer, and I communicate better that way. First, I wrote a short note to the Loose Cannon, who was now working a shift at the front register. I felt prompted to do this, because of Chris's earlier comment, and because of God's pricking of my own conscience. 

I brought the note up to my co-worker,, and when she saw me approach; her expression registered a look of fear; the kind that one gets, when it is sure, that a cobra, is about to attack them, with poisonous venom. I left the note for her to read, and to consider, and I walked quickly, away.

My note apologized for having snapped at her, the other day, which I explained I had done, because she had called me her boss, once again, (when I had told her at least 25 times not to do so, because I am not her boss) and it explained, also, that it was important that she not consider me her boss, or call me her boss, or tell customers, that I am her boss; when in fact, I am not, and have I no authority. (Just ask the Daylight Savings Lady). 

I gave her this information in the note, because there is no way to have a personal discussion at work, and not be interrupted by customers. (Even in the bathroom, or when  discussing the unexpected passing of a co-worker).

Chris feels the same, about the boss thing, although she is the head, of the cosmetic department. She wants us all working together, as a team. I also, added, in my note, to the "loose cannon," that there were other issues, that were bothering me, but that we would discuss them further, later.

By these I mean, the promises she makes, to not talk behind my back, when she in fact does; as well as her over-reactions, and emotional, self-centered drama, that she does not remember, doing later. 

My note explained that my medication was making me edgy, and it told her that some of my female things were not working properly, in my body, and that my hair has been falling out, consistently, sometimes in clumps, from the Crohn's disease. She came over to cosmetics, and spoke to me in person, and we forgave each other. We  are getting along, again, for now.

My assistant manager, and this particular employee, must have made up, also, since Sunday.  I noticed, that afternoon, that they greeted each other, nicely, as if they were old friends, with a happy exchange of hellos. This happened as I was leaving for the day, on Tuesday.

 I said to my assistant boss, (without a preamble), after having observed this exchange,"The mysteries of life, never seem to unravel."


"That is very profound," he replied.

"Stay tuned, for more profound comments," I encouraged.

"I will stay on the edge of my seat," he promised.

When I relayed this exchange to my husband, later, he replied, "But does he ever, actually, sit down?"

That is another, puzzling, profound thing, yet to be pondered. (This assistant manager always brings a small lunch container to work, every day, which he takes home, empty, at the end of the day, Yet, no one sees him eat it!) It is hard to keep up with this man, who I compare to the Energizer Bunny. He is the same age, as my husband.

Before leaving for the day, today, I left a note for the team-leader-firecracker, dropping tips as to my health, and medication issues, and asking for her patience. She has health issues also, such as terrible migraines. (Just as update, that note did only seemed to make things worse, as she was in quite a funk, the next day, and did not speak to me, at all, although, she seemed happy, to talk to everyone, else).

I also wrote out a peer-recognition card for my assistant boss, Mr. N.,thanking him for listening, and trusting me, and for having a good sense of humor. I also told him, that I had apologized to the Unstable Cannon. I left a card for my team leader, Jodi, also, for seeing the good in me.

I also left a note for my main supervisor, asking her to please speak to me, in private, if someone offers a complaint about me, instead of putting it for all to see, on the Five-Minute-Notes, and thus causing me to have to guess about whether it is, about me, or not. The note I left for her, explained that I was now very disheartened, as I do try hard  to help everyone; and that two team leaders; Jodi, and Tina, and another customer, had given me a lot of Kudos, recently.

I lastly, explained in the note, the side effects of my steroid medication;, and I explained to her, that I had three weeks yet to go on it, and that I hoped she would be patient with me. ( The next two days, after getting said note, my main supervisor, was much nicer to me).

Thankfully, my doctor was nicer to me, also, on my last appointment. I am now on a Crohns' specific medication, that is supposed to work well, but carries with it, a slight risk, of blood cancer. I will be tested regularly, to make sure I do not get the  dreaded C-word. I am also slowly tapering off of the Predinsone, as directed by my doctor. I hope to lose the headache, hunger, and irritability, soon.(!!)

I left Chris a note, last, but not least, apologizing for messing up the Skincare reset, yesterday. I also gave her a treat, which was a piece of a chocolate, called a "Diet Pill," meant to offset a rude comment, made to her, by yet another one, of our rather mouthy, co-workers, (who I caught wearing my jacket, the other day in the pharmacy; one that I could not find, for days. But that is another story, altogether). Chris has been having a hard year, with family loses, and health issues. I respect how well she is handling it all.

 Chris seemed to appreciate her chocolate gift. I finished my shift, and my main task of the day, which I felt I did properly, and then I went home, to eat frozen yogurt. (A treat, I can eat). I also enjoyed the company of my husband, (the 9th of February, was our second anniversary). I then worked on this blog, until 3 A.M.!! (Predinsone energy).

This now concludes, the Walgreen's drama of the day; and this episode, of Muppet News Flash.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home