Bear's Hideout

Friday, February 20, 2015



You Say Hello, I Say Good-Bye (Beatles Song)


Yesterday was one of those rare days at work, where it was fairly quiet, due to the cold weather; and all of our staff seemed to be getting along and looking for ways, to goof around. We had enough management on at the same time, for once, also, so the "head-honchos," were not overly-stressed. Things were going smoothly for once!

I had been having a lot of pain and crabby feelings, first thing that morning, sadly, (mostly from the side effects of my steroid medication). However, after eating my second meal, (at work), and taking more medication, (this is not quite as bad, as it sounds), I was in more of a mellow mood, later, as well.

Shortly after this nicer mood change occurred, my day got even better. A prayer request was answered for me, when an older customer named Audrey, came into the store looking for me. Audrey is a woman who I had been really wanting to see. The last time I had seen her, (a couple weeks ago), she had told me that her husband, who has been in a nursing home for some time, was not doing well and that he would likely not live much longer.

This lady prays for both me, and my husband. She is going blind, gradually, and can not read, anymore. You can not tell, from her expressions, or her appearance, how hard things are, for her. Her family is not around very much. She has had terrible stomach issues, also, similar to what I have, and she has painful blood clots in her legs. We have often discussed prayer, our personal lives, and our health issues.

This customer is one, of about five older ladies, that I can think of, off the top of my head, that take a genuine interest in my welfare, despite any problems they themselves have. Audrey sometimes comes in just to see how I am doing.

Another one of these kind, older, ladies, is named Dorthy. She is someone who, Chris also knows, well. Dorthy was in the store, the day before last, and gave my spirit quite a lift, while regaling me, with her past strange experiences of working in retail (at J.C.Penny). We updated each other on our current health issues, and encouraged each other, to continue to "hang in there." We usually have a good laugh, together. She is another one, that understands my sense of humor. Not that many people, do!

It is like Chris says, if only all our customers were just like these ladies! (By this, we mean, if they would not treat us like retail slaves, or mannequins, with no feelings; nor blame us, for all their problems).

When customers come into the store, and/or into our cosmetics department, I have a sort of radar, that goes on in my brain; somewhat similar to, how Radar, was, on M.A.S.H. He always heard the choppers, bringing in the wounded, before anyone, else.:-)


I know most of the regular customers, more by voice, and by their looks, more than I do by name. I also know them, by the backs of their heads, and even by their walks. I see them, and, I often remember, if my past experiences with them, have been good, bad, or indifferent. Certain ones, that I know, are trouble, I try to prepare myself for mentally, before they get to my department.

If I do not think I can deal with them, patiently, in the condition, I am in, at the moment, (physically, or emotionally), or if I feel, I can not take the trouble, they are likely to cause; I may decide then, to pick up something, I might need, in the office. Or, I might take a bathroom break!
 

These are true confessions! I do not do this, a lot, but sometimes! And, I do not do this, if there is no one else, to help these people. I do take my regular turns, dealing with the crazy people!
 

Speaking of crazy people, The Nutritional Drink Lady was in again, yesterday. She saw me, but did not say a word to me. She does not even come to cosmetics much, anymore. She tries her tricks now, with the front register staff, who just end up calling a manager, (usually Mr. N.), anyhow.

Read my previous work stories, to get more information on this costumer, and her feelings on Mr. N.! (This lady is usually preoccupied with getting her Walgreen's brand nutritional drinks, as cheap as possible, and and will try as many ploys as she can muster, in order to try to get her way. They never quite pan out, and they are sometimes dishonest, and they make us all, mental!
 

Anyway, this annoying lady went to the front register yesterday and asked the front cashier about a cosmetic item. The naive cashier directed her to go to cosmetics, to get our help. The Nutritional Drink Lady glanced over to cosmetics and then claimed; (in her, "I am pretending to be a, poor, pathetic, old person, with a pretend, sick husband, in the car,"), that she did not see either of one of us over there!

Chris was close enough to the front register, to hear this conversation. So, she stood up then, on the balls of her feet, (she is petite) and basically jumped up and down, and waved at this customer. (Not, because she wanted to, of course, but out of a sense of duty!) This customer, really did not want our help, or even want to deal with us at all, because she knows we are on to her. But she could not really tell that to the front cashier. Thus, the pretending!

Chris relayed this story, to me, after it happened, and explained that while this was happening, she was thinking to herself, "Just follow, the little, red ball!" (Chris, the petite red-head).

Anyhow, this woman had a new scam, this time. Instead of looking for nutritional drinks, it was now, laxatives. She claimed, that yesterday, another Walgreen's store, had told her, that every kind, (every brand, and every count) of laxatives in the store, was actually, supposed to be on sale.

That is really a retail impossibility. Every brand of anything, takes it's turn going on sale, and it is often only certain ones. Walgreen's corporate, I think, probably works with the actual manufactures, to set up these kinds of sales. I am not positive on this, but I know it must be something quite like that.

The only time anything like what she had described, ever happens at Walgreen's, is when Walgreen's puts almost all of their over the counter medications, and some of their other Walgreen's brand, products on sale, (for even up to a month), all at the same time.

They can do that, since it is their company brand. But even that kind of sale, is rather rare. She did not get away, with this new scam, of course. We are starting to get her out of the store more quickly, now!

Some customers, who are not regulars, I still get a good sense about, almost immediately, by how they speak to me, or by how confused, and/or angry they might seem to be at the moment. I do better, dealing with them, if I notice these things, and prepare myself, ahead of time. It is good to know if I might need to duck, or run away! Most of the time, I am right, in my evaluations of these sorts of situations. Thankfully, many customers do come in, with at least a neutral disposition!

Anyhow, I had been saving a card, for Audrey, who came in yesterday, because I was fairly sure, that her husband, had passed away, and I wanted to encourage her, and let her know I had a good church, if she ever wanted to come with us. She and I talked for quite a bit, and we both felt encouraged, by knowing that the other, was doing alright. I am in much better condition, then when she saw me last.

In addition to this pleasant conversation, Mr. N., my assistant manger, also thanked me yesterday, for apologizing  to my co-worker, who I have referred to, in past entries, as the Loose Cannon. I blew up at her, last week. When Mr. N., thanked me, I replied to him, that I did not want any trouble with anyone.

"Some people I trust, more than others." I informed him, "But I hate tension, and I have enough stress in my life, already."

"Some people, just want to cause more trouble," Mr. N., said, in reply. I agreed. The complement, and encouragement from Mr. N., made me feel good.

However, I will not be sharing much, with the Loose Cannon, anymore, as she has lost my trust, completely. But, I will try, not lose it on her. My "radar ears," picked up on the interesting fact, yesterday, that she and and another other co-worker, (who is another, that will be one way to your face, and other behind your back), are e-mailing each other. (Likely to exchange bitterness, gossip, and gripes. More drama!)

This was was just another confirmation, for me, to be more careful, and to watch who I talk to, at my store, about anything. Neither one of these two, whom I just I mentioned, can be trusted to keep their mouths shut. Therefore, the "there is no honor among thieves," idiom, comes to mind.

I have to wonder, when one of the two, will realize that they are trusting, the wrong person, with their gripes. One of them, may be stabbed in the back, by the other, at any time! And I am sure, I will begin, to hear all about it from the Loose Cannon. Again, it will be a "talk to the hand," moment. I do not want to hear it!

I also would not be surprised at all, if these two are exchanging thoughts on me, while playing nice, to my face. There is no one, that either of them, do not talk or complain about, at some time, or another. (A tip, I learned, a long time ago, is as follows: if someone is complaining about everyone to you, it just makes sense, that they are at times, complaining about you, to everyone else, as well!)

Anyway, on to more fun, topics.

Chris and I worked together, yesterday, but in separate parts of the department. At about quarter to five, Tina, (my friend, and a team-leader), made an announcement, over the paging system, to inform Elsie, (another team leader), that she needed to, "leave the building, and go home."

Not knowing why this was happening, I walked up to Chris, laughing. Elsie was laughing in the shave needs aisle, near us. Apparently, Elsie had been working too many hours this week, and Walgreen's was not prepared to give her any overtime pay. So, she and Tina had agreed, that Tina would remind Elsie to go home a little, early, that day.


Several of us, had a lot of fun, with this particular situation, afterwards. For instance, Elsie asked Mrs. W., our main boss, if she was allowed to purchase milk, before leaving. I, then asked Mrs.W., if we could not, all, in fact, leave the building. Mrs. W. laughed then, and said, that she had jokingly, threatened to to Mr.N., earlier, that she was going to let all of the staff leave for lunch, at the same time.

Well, anyway, Elise paid for her milk, in cosmetics, and then, told me, that I should make it clear, that she was, now, actually, leaving the building, (just like Elvis). So, I got on the horn, and announced, "Elsie, is now, leaving the building.":-)

Walgreen paging announcements are something, Mr N. is very big on, and he wants every department, to do one, every 90 minutes, letting customers know their particular department's current promotions. I rarely do these announcements, until Mr.N. comes over, to question me, about them, or gives me, that questioning look. I have always told Mr. N., that I feel that no one listens to these announcements, and that other work, is more important. However, I can not convince him to agree, to my opinion.

I often give my announcements, (when I am made to do them); with the following introduction: "Good (morning, afternoon, evening), Walgreen customers, and Mr. Nitsch."

(This was Mr. N's.,suggestion some time ago, to mention his name, in order to make sure he did not miss my announcements, when I did in fact, do them). After this opening, I then detail the current promotion, (which might be a sale on lipstick, or pantyhose), and then end my said page with Chris's personal flourish, "Thank you for shopping at Walgreen's, at the corner of bright and beautiful."


There are times, that some of us page, fun, and weird, things; and, when we do, it just goes to show, that the customers pay no attention to them at all! No one questions any of our odd announcements, which, had they heard them, they likely would ask about!

For instance, once, I paged from cosmetics, that we had a "balloon emergency," because a helium balloon had gotten loose, and, I knew, from past experience, that if it stayed where it was, it would likely set off the alarm after store hours.

After I gave that particular announcement, Elsie arrived, with an annoyed expression, and got on a step-stool, with a large gripper devise; the kind that disabled people use, to grab things, and rescued the balloon. She was able to get it down, after a few tries, she has her height as an advantage.

Another day, after being pestered by Mr. N. to do an announcement from cosmetics, earlier than was necessary, (when he thought it was an hour and half later, than it really was), I started my announcement in a sarcastic tone. "Attention, Walgreen customers, Mr. Nitsch., and anyone else."

I had hoped to get a good reaction from Mr. N, on that one, but I did not. I did not get in trouble, either, though. I always crack Chris up when I do these things. :-)

Today, Chris told me, that she had commented to Mr. N., in the stockroom, about how cold it was in there. (I had told Chris, that Mrs. W. had not liked it, when I said yesterday, that I was sure I had seen a polar bear in there). She took offense at it, for some reason.

Mr. N. laughed at Chris's comment, however, when she claimed to have seen a penguin waddle by. He then asked her, later on, if she had given her paging announcement. She replied that she would do so, when she got back to her department. Mr. N., suggested at that time, that she should announce that we now  have very cold twelve packs!

Once, when I was due to be out for awhile, for a surgery, Mr. N. bought me card, and had all of the staff sign it. They all said they hoped, that it would go well. Mr. N.'s personal note, on the card, began, in quotes, as a paging announcement. "Attention, Walgreen's customers, " it began. "Sadly, Holly will not be able to help you today...."

(I laughed my head off, when I read it, and I still have this card, to this day. Mr. N. also likes to write messages, on my unsuspecting bananas, in the break room. He is quite a character).

Another story, along these lines also happened yesterday.

Last night, Franz(erelli), who works over in camera, must have been asked, by Mr. N., to do an announcement. He did one, promoting sales in the camera department. His announcement ended with the phrase, "Thank you for shopping Walgreen's, at the corner of moments and memories."

Even though it was an hour early for my announcement to be due, (and since, there were few customers in the store), I got on the phone, and did my new announcement, that I had just written. It encouraged the purchase of self tanning lotions, to help get rid of any nagging cabin-fever, and, it also suggested the purchase of Loreal Butterfly mascara, to aid in the thinking of spring. I ended my announcement with, "Thank you for shopping Walgreen's, at the corner of bright and beautiful," (as normal).

Tina, then got on a phone, and began, another, (mandatory), announcement, to promote our food drive, (consisting of peanut-butter donations). Tina began, "Help our hunger task force, today, by purchasing..." Then she started laughing, and never finished.


I got back on the phone, and paged, "Purchase, what?"

I heard Tina laugh, from the other end of the store. Then Nekaya, who was at the front register, finished Tina's announcement about donations of peanut-butter. The whole thing was very funny; and, I expected, Mr. N., to be very entertained, and also pleased. However, he did not say much. He only asked, whether we were doing, a "paging marathon."

In other news, Dave and I have just purchased, an inexpensive set of Spider man walkie-talkies, in order to communicate with each other, when in separate rooms. This has been deemed necessary, due my husband's new found hearing issues, and my, new, possible, asthma, which causes me to not be able to talk as loud as before.

Sometimes, it is not practical to get always get up and go in to the other room, in order to say something important, especially if I am reading in bed, or Dave is working on a project. Also, Dave sometimes needs to be reminded to come to bed, very early in the morning, as he looses track of time, while working on his hobbies. Right now, we are having quite a bit of fun with these toys!

Last, but not least, I just want to know, if Liam Neeson is now the new Die Hard, With An Irish Accent? One of his newest movies, called Taken, is introduced, on the DVD cover with this tagline. "I will find you. I will kill you."

I like Liam a lot, and his accent, too, but I prefer him in movies such as, Schindler's List, Love Actually, and Les Miserables! Dave says, Liam should make a another movie, and it should be called, "I am Going to Hit You So Hard, You Will Hurt Last Week!"

Dave and I are also, currently, writing our own, "new" scripts, for the "Old Rob Lowe,/New Rob Lowe" commercials. Who knows, it may be our true calling!

Dave also says, people should stop worrying about their FICA scores, (how good their credit is), and worry more about their Pica scores, (how much paper they can eat!) Just a joke!

So ends, this episode, of Walgreen's Muppet News Flash.:-) Hope you enjoyed it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home